Forum Title: Picture window change out
I have a large, older picture window in my living room. It is an old metal frame single pane and the seal is starting to give out. One of the issues as well is that I would like to be able to open the new window to allow air flow. Just on basic research it seems it would be cheaper for me to get two or three double hung windows for the space and place them side by side. The question is, what is the easiest and best way to do this. Can I had a 2x4's inside the current frame to support the new windows, or am I best do get the windows mulled?
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: DEBORAH CLARK (Yuma, AZ), 01/06/2019

Pic if it helps

- NATALIE PARKS (Nashville, TN), 02/09/2019

kelly.alan - If you have an existing picture window, there is some sort of lintel over it since the picture window cannot carry and external vertical loads. Taking out the glass panel since a IGU (insulating glass unit) has little capacity should give you a large opening to put in the window/windows of your choice. - You should not need any additional vertical support. It would be good to take out a small section of the drywall on on each side to see what you have. Drywall is easy to replace and patch. Dick

- ENRIQUE MCGEE (Harlingen, TX), 02/11/2019

I would recommend casement windows if you want good airflow, as opposed to double hung.

- TIFFANY WILLIS (Trenton, NJ), 02/12/2019

Remodeling Resources & Links For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527